NORTON CANES PARISH COUNCIL

 Minutes of Council Meeting held on 20th November 2019 at Norton Canes Community Centre at 7pm

Present:                          Cllrs J.Preece

J.Bernard

D.Bilbie

J.Beddows

K.Fereday

J.Newbury

Mrs.Z.Stretton

M.Stretton

Mrs.S.Harding

R.Wilkinson

Mrs.D.Todd

 

Also In Attendance:              Mrs.L.Florence (Clerk)

5 members of the Public

 

  143/2019     Public Participation

                        Waste Land on Walsall Road –  Mr.R.Knowles raised the question about the state of the waste piece of land on Walsall Road (located between Nevells and Rose Cottages).  The meeting was informed that the land owner in question had been contacted to ascertain if he could consider erecting some fencing which the Parish Council would have been prepared to provide some art/graffiti work on as a feature which would have contributed to the Best Kept Village competition.  As this land is in the centre of the village it is very prominent and looks unkempt.  We have had to put this area down in our application for BKV as an ’eyesore’.  We are not in a position to enforce landowners to look after their land.

 

Loose Horses – the issue of loose horses was raised, which was not referred to in the circulated Police report, and the fact that this has been an ongoing problem and residents are concerned about the safety of the horses. The horses have been put in a field belonging to a local farmer but the Police have made no contact regarding this matter.   Cllr.Preece gave an update and it was agreed that he would raise this with the Partnership Officer at the District Council.

 

Action:     Cllr.J.Preece to raise issue of lack of police response re the loose horses in the village.

 

                     Public Participation closed at 7.10 p.m.

 

 144/2019    Apologies

Apologies were received from Cllrs. Mrs.A.Bernard, M.Holder and County Councillor J.McMahon

 

 145/2019    Declarations of Interest

To declare interests for this meeting:

 

Member                            Interest                                             Reason

 

Cllr.Mrs.Z.Stretton                     Planning Applications                  Member of District Council Planning Committee

Agenda item 6(a)

 

 146//2019   Minutes of the Meeting of the Council held on 16th October 2019

The Minutes of the Council meeting held on the 16th October were agreed as a true and accurate record.

 

  Proposed:    Cllr. M.Stretton

  Seconded:   Cllr. J.Bernard

 

  Matters Arising from the Minutes

 

Page 1 – Flooding outside Co-op Store –  it was noted that a letter had been sent to the Chief Executive at the Mid-Counties Co-op regarding this issue.

 

Page 3 – Planning – Cllr.Mrs.Z.Stretton raised the application relating to Pentalver and questioned why the Parish Council had put a no objection response.  Cllr Stretton did not know whey the Parish Council had been consulted as she felt that this did not sit within the boundary of Norton Canes and that in future when reviewing applications boundary lines should be considered if they are appropriate. Discussion ensued on the boundary of the village and it was agreed that the access to the Pentalver site does sit within Norton Canes.

 

Page 3 – Grove Colliery – Cllr.J.Newbury reported that the planning application will now probably be put before the District Council Planning Committee on the 15th January.

 

Page 4 – CCTV for Parish Office -Cllr.K.Fereday informed the meeting that he had attended a demonstration re  the proposed new CCTV equipment and gave feedback on his observations. Securitec Systems have included the suggestions made to ensure the system is fit for purpose and there is a small increase in the original quotation.  The cost of the new system is now £1,333 plus VAT.  It was felt that a new monitor for the Parish Office maybe something that would be needed in the future and had looked at various comparisons with the cost coming out in the region of £145 plus VAT.

 

It was resolved:

To accept the new quotation for the upgraded CCTV for the Parish Office at a cost of  £1,333 plus VAT.  The cost of a new monitor to be reviewed in the future.

 

 147/2019     Police Report

A written report was circulated to the meeting which referred to a few incidents of parking issues between

Neighbours.  There were no reported incidents relating to youth issues.  There have been several reports of fuel thefts from Sainsbury’s on Voyager Drive and also the new Euro Garages on the A5.   There has been a reported burglary at the Beach Hut behind the Turf Pub where a flat screen TV, a printer and several small other items were taken. CCTV has been viewed but no identification has been made at the present time.  Reports of a vehicle being taken in Beaumont Drive and also a number of thefts of tools from vans but there are no lines of enquiry at the present time.

 

The meeting was informed that a response had been received that the Police were unable to support attendance at the Lantern Parade.

 

Discussion ensued on the general lack of police presence in the village.  It was noted that given the following increase in Council Tax there is no indication that there will be a replacement for the loss of a PCSO and it appears that other areas have more PCSO’s available.   Cllr.J.Newbury suggested that we should write to the new Commander for Cannock Chase expressing our concerns and also disappointment re no police presence at the lantern parade.

 

Action:   Clerk to write to the Police Commander for Cannock Chase expressing concerns re Police presence in the village.

    

    148//2019   Reports from Councillors:

 

Cllr J.Beddows reported that he had been to the Drs Surgery and said that a tree ont he site requires attention as it now overhangs.

 

Action:   Clerk to contact the District Council .

 

                     Cllr.Beddows also raised the problem with the car park and asked if there was any help in getting an overspill car park to alleviate the problem. He made suggestion that the children’s play area by the Centre, which is not used, could potentially be considered.  The car parking at the centre has been an ongoing problem and one where the Parish Council have been in negotiation with the Trust who are responsible for the building.  Cllr.Mrs.S.Harding as a member of the PPG said that the children’s play area had previously been looked into but there was not enough room to enable cars to turn round.  The building is now overused. One of the issues in looking at a new layout is the cost involved and would not warrant the number of extra places this would provide so is not considered a viable option.  It does also appear that there has been no communication with the staff group located there about consideration that the car park is for patients.

 

The Parish Council did sometime ago meet with health personnel who were responsible for the building raising concerns about the car park and the fact that this had been more problematic since a number of health staff had been relocated to this building.  Health agreed to look into this but to date we have not had any feedback.  It was agreed to follow this matter up with Health.

 

Acton:    Clerk to contact Health re follow-up from meeting re car park issues.

 

                     Cllr.Mrs.S.Harding –  reported on the actions taken relating to the Dementia Community Award for the village.  Cllr.Harding has been looking at the process and has provided information to commence this project and outlined what other steps need to be taken.  Cllr.Mrs.D.Todd said that she had been involved with Heath Hayes who had been awarded Dementia Community and said that she could provide some support re the information required to take this forward for Norton Canes.  Approval was given to Cllr.Hrding to complete the form on behalf of the Parish Council.

 

Cllr.D.Bilblie – reported on the Remembrance Service.

 

149/2019   Reports from Committee  

                   Planning

                   Summary of Planning applications                                    

Comments forwarded to Cannock Chase Council

No of Planning Application Address of proposed application

 

Proposal Comments by Parish
Planning Committee
CH/16/267 Land to North of Great Wyrley Common and South of A5 Watling Street Amended Plans re Go-Karting Facility and associated operational development To be considered by Planning Committee
       
DECISIONS BY CCDC/SCC      
CH/19/314 1 Washbrook Lane

Norton Canes

Garage extension and addition of new dormers to existing garage Permission granted

 

A decision notice had been received relating to the planning application for signage for drive -through at the new Eurogarge on the A5.  The signage part of the application had been granted but there was part refusal relating to the Totem pole.l

 

Projects

Lantern Parade –  the meeting was informed of the arrangements for the Lantern Parade to take place on the 8th December.  Some discussion about whether there could be a trailer made available and Cllr.R.Wilkinson said that he had looked into this but may not be able to achieve this due to the condition of the trailer and the issues for health and safety. There was some disappointment due to the announcement that Chasewater will be holding a Christmas event to include a Lantern Parade on the same date and time.  As this sits within our border it was not known if this would affect the attendance at our parade.  Cllr.J.Preece said that he had raised concerns about lack of communication about co-ordinating this event on the same day.  We will just monitor this year’s turnout and take any issues forward for 2020 event.

It was confirmed that the switch on lights would be the 6th December. It was suggested if the wooden nativity scene which had been used previously could be displayed in the old Parish Notice Board.

Action :   Clerk agreed to look into the wooden nativity display.

150/2019   New Cemetery

It was reported that the outcome of the planning application is still awaited.

151/2019   Neighbourhood Plan

                 It was reported that work is progressing on the Neighbourhood Plan with topic groups meeting regularly to steer that area of work which will feed into the Steering group.  The next Steering Group meeting is scheduled for the 28th November.  A further report will be available for the Council December meeting.

   152/2019   Highways             

            It was raised as an issue that contact cannot be made direct to the Highways Dept via the County Council main reception number and appears that you can now only email the Dept which gives the impression that residents are a nuisance.  This is not always an ideal form of communication either as not everyone has access to computers and you are therefore excluding a group of people from making contact.  It was agreed that we write to the Portfolio leader re Highways and express our concerns.

Action:   Clerk to write the Portfolio Leader for Highways to express concerns re ability to communicate with Highways via telephone.

 153/2019   Chairman’s Announcement

                  Incoming and Outgoing post which had previously been circulated was noted.

 

The Chairman referred to the letter sent to the Co-op regarding the flooding outside the store which was noted.

 

The Chairman informed the meeting that a notification that the Cannock Chase SAC is undergoing a consultation process and explained how the management of the site works.  The consultation is on line should Councillors wish to respond.   –

 

 154/2019   Authorisation of Accounts 

 

                        A schedule of accounts for payment in November had been circulated to Councillors prior to the meeting which were noted and authorised.

                       

                        Cllr.J.Bernard referred to the income of £3,895 from Lichfield Diocese for a Youth Outreach worker programme and whether the plans for expenditure had commenced. Cllr.J.Preece informed the meeting that there had been some delay in receiving the grant and we will be negotiating with the Diocese that the commencement of this programme starts in  January due to the fact that the funding was late. This will be a better time as it would take the programme into the summer holidays.

 

                   Proposed:  Cllr.J.Bernard

                   Seconded: Cllr.D.Bilbie

             

 155/2019    Date of Next Meeting –  Wednesday 18th December  at 7 p.m. at Norton Canes Community                Centre.      

 156/2019    Items for Information and Future Agenda             

 

The meeting closed at 8.35 p.m.

 

 SIGNED…………………………………………………….………  DATED………………………………………..……