NORTON CANES PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of Council Meeting held on 20th March 2019 at Norton Canes Community Centre at 7pm

Present:               Cllr J.Preece

Mrs.S.Harding

Mr.J.Bernard

Mrs.A.Bernard

J.Bridgen

J.Beddows

J.Newbury

M.Holder

Mrs.M.Hopley

Mrs.P.Z.Stretton

M.Stretton

 

Also Present:        Mrs.L.Florence (Clerk)

Cllr.J.McMahon,  County Councillor (for first part of meeting)

3 members of the public

  32/2019     Public Participation

 

Gypsy/Travellers on Stokes Lane – Cllr.J.Preece referred to the issues that have been raised regarding the      gypsy/travellers located on Stokes Lane.  This has been an ongoing problem for sometime and action is now being taken in conjunction with the landowner, Parish Council and County Council.  County Councillor J.McMahon has offered to support the legal process through his Community Fund which will be paid to the Parish Council.

 

Norton Hall Lane  – Cllr.M.Holder stated that at the last meeting he had raised the question as to how much it would cost to extend the legal limit of the HGV restrictions on Norton Hall Lane/Norton Green Lane to the junction at Blakeney Way as it was felt that this would help to deter HGV’s using these roads in the village which has been causing problems.

 

Cllr.M.Holder  said that a cost had been obtained which was in the region of £7,000 to install new signs but he felt that this was not something that the Parish Council should be responsible for.   Some thought about a cost sharing exercise with other authorities i.e.. County Council, District Council, Developers, any underspend from the Traffic Calming Scheme whereby if everyone contributed then the costs of the exercise could be achieved. Some discussion took place about the appropriate place for the signs to be located and it was suggested that best location would be the island at Blakeney Way which would cover access for all of Norton Hall Lane.

 

Cllr.J.McMahon also reported that whilst new signs have been installed on Washbrook Lane re HGV’s he will be discussing this further with Mark Keeling.

 

Cllr.Mrs.Z.Stretton asked if HGV signage could also be looked into the bridge on Lime Lane as this is unsuitable for HGV’s

 

Blocked Drains – it was reported that there are still blocked drains in the village and question raised as to when they will be cleared.   The Clerk stated that some of the drains had been cleared as part of the Highways programme.  Cllr.J.McMahon agreed to take this matter up with Mark Keeling next week.

 

                   Public Participation closed at 7.15 p.m.

 

33/2019    Apologies

Apologies were received from Cllrs. J.Hampshire, C.Cox and District Councillor M.Hoare.

 

  34/2019    Declarations of Interest

Declarations of Interest were received from:

Cllr.Mrs.Z.Stretton re agenda item 7(a) – member of District Council Planning Committee

Cllr.J.Bridgen – Agenda item 5 – Community Award.

 

35/2019    Minutes of the Meeting of the Council held on 20th February 2019

The Minutes of the Council Meeting held on the 20th February were agreed as a true and accurate record.

 

Proposed:    Cllr.Mrs.M.Hopley

Seconded:   Cllr.J.Bernard

 

Matters Arising from the Minutes

There were no matters arising.

 

36/2019  Police Report

No police report was available.  Cllr.Mrs.Z.Stretton reported on an incident relating to youths ‘joy riding’ around the village which involved an incident with a deer.

 

Action:      Clerk to contact the Police to ascertain if this incident had been reported.

 

37/2019  Community and Youth Endeavour Award 

              A list of nominations for the Community Award was circulated to Councillors prior to the meeting.  There were no nominations this year for the Youth Endeavour Award.

 

Councillors were asked to consider the 4 nominations.  Discussion ensued and it was agreed that all four nominations were worthy of the Award.  A vote was taken the outcome of which that it was unanimously agreed that the Award for 2019 should go to Mrs.Jean Hill for her work with the British Legion, Charties and in the community generally.  It was also agreed that the other nominees should be recognised in some way and that a Certificate of Recognition with a small gift should also be presented to them at the Annual Parish Assembly in April.

 

It was noted that it was disappointing that there were no nominations for the Youth Endeavour Award and that the process needs to be looked at for next year.  Currently we approach schools for nominations and that an approach should be made for Beryl Hall to be involved in co-ordinating nominations from the High School. Work with the junior schools to have a co-ordinator to look at future nominations.

 

It was resolved:

                               The Community Award for 2019 should be presented to Mrs.Jean Hill. 

 

38/2019  Reports from Councillors:

Cllr J.Beddows informed the meeting that he had been approached by Nucare Chemist in the village who have purchased the property at 18 Burntwood Road as a dentist business.   Cllr.J.Beddows felt that they had made great improvements to the property and was referring to the roller shutter that has been installed.

 

39/2019  Reports from Committee

               Summary of Planning Items from Parish Meeting March 2019

Comments forwarded to Cannock Chase Council by the Parish Council’s Planning Committee

 

No of Planning Application Address of proposed application

 

Proposal Comments by Parish
Planning Committee
CH/19/064 1 Butts Close Norton Canes Proposal to split into 2 x 3 bedroom semi detached houses with extension over existing garage No Objections
CH/19/048 Grove Colliery, Lime Lane

Pelsall

Change of use of land to Gypsy Traveller Residential site for up to 7 caravans, of which 3 would be static. Construction of a day room and utility block, creation of new vehicular access and the laying of hard standing. See attached email response re this application
CH/19/074 Kingswood Lakeside

Blakeney Way

Vary condition 2 (B2 & B8) to include (B1use) Pursuant to CH/16/465 No objections
CH/19/076 18 Burntwood Road

Norton Canes

Retention of roller shutter to secure shopfront Objection as the roller shutter is made of industrial material and

Affects the street scene as other properties are residential.

Decisions by CCDC      
CH/18/392 Land rear of 71 Burntwood Road Norton Canes 70 Dwellings – Amended Plans Permission granted
CH/18/433 7 Bridges Road Norton Canes Proposed erection of 4 dwellings Permission granted

 

Councillors were informed that a letter had been received from the District Council relating to CH/18/358 regarding construction of garage and access at the rear of 58 Brownhills Road.  The letter referred to an appeal being lodged due to the District Council not making a decision with the timeframe.  The Planning Committee of the Parish Council will look at this when they meet and respond to the District Council regarding this.

Projects –  Cllr.Mrs.A.Bernard referred to an Events Group meeting that had taken place to look at a different approach to delivering smaller events in the village in a more co-ordinated way to tighten up the communication so that everyone is working together.   This mainly referred to the Community Centre, Trinity Methodist Church and the Parish Council who organise the Lantern Parade and Community Carol Service.

Discussion ensued on what could be learnt from the events in 2018 and how this could be taken forward perhaps in a different format in the future.  At the beginning of the meeting  Ian Straughan fromTrinity Methodist Church said that due to the low numbers from the Church now available, they had decided that they would no longer be able to support organising the Community Carol Service and that it was probably time for change.    Ian Straughan from the Methodist Church was thanked for the support over the years in the organisation of the Carol Service.

It was suggested that the format for the Community Carol Service should change and that it would be more of a Carol Concert and family event bringing in other people such as choir, community groups, something for the children etc.  There was a general consensus from the meeting that this would be the preferred format.  The date for the Lantern Parade and Carol Concert is the 8th December and the group will meet regularly to take this forward.

     Audit and Governance

Cllr.J.Bernard reported on the following items that need Councillors approval for expenditure:

(a)    Repair of the bus shelter located outside the Library on Burntwood Road.  The quotation for the repair was circulated to Councillors prior to the meeting. It was agreed that authorisation for expenditure be authorised and that this should be completed before the judging of BKV commences.

(b)    Purchase of dog poo dispensers – it had been suggested by the events committee that we could look at        raising the awareness of this issue by purchasing some dog poo dispensers with black bags to promote dog walkers to use the bags. It was suggested that at first we could look at providing 3 dispensers to be located on the Cema, the mineral line on Jubilee Gardens and the entrance to the Brownhills Road playing fields.  If successful we could look at providing more in other areas of the village.  The costs of the dispensers range from £60 to £80 and it was agreed that the Clerk should look further into this and order 3 in readiness for the BKV.

It was resolved:

                 (a)      To agree the expenditure of £240 to repair the bus shelter on Burntwood Road.

                 (b)      To approve the purchase of 3 dog poo dispensers. Clerk to provide full costs at a                                      next Council meeting.

Cllr.J.Bernard referred to a letter that had been received from the District Council referring to some additional election costs due to the changes relating to the printing.  The contents of the letter were considered and it was felt that the explanation as to why the changes had been necessary was not a  relevant one.  As a Parish Council we have to budget for election costs during a 4 year period and do not accept that the District response is reasonable as they know when the Elections are going to take place so should be in a position to plan their budgets in the same way.

Action:          Clerk to email Steve Partridge at the District Council regarding our comments about the    additional election costs.

40/2019   New Cemetery

     Cllr Mrs.A.Bernard reported that we now have a confirmation letter from the Holford Group that they give permission for a temporary access route from Swan Farm to assist in the delivery of construction materials to the proposed new cemetery site.  This letter will form part of the new application.  The Clerk reported that Sam Whitehouse, who had previously dealt with the expired planning application had contacted the Parish Council as an update and enquiring whether if his services were no longer required that some of the paperwork could be destroyed.  It was felt that we may need his services in the future and therefore we should inform him of the status of the new application whilst keeping the ‘door open’ for future work if required.

Action:      Clerk to inform Sam Whitehouse of the current position regarding the new cemetery and                                      stating that depending on the outcome of the application and the next steps in the Project we may require his services in the future and not to destroy any of the paperwork he has.

41/2019   Neighbourhood Plan

                No update to note. Next meeting of the working group is the 27th March 2019.

   42/2019   Highways

The issue of the tarmac strip outside APC is getting worse and needs to be raised again as a matter of  urgency.with Highways.

Action:       Clerk to contact Liaison Officer at Highways and request that this be prioritised.

43/2019   Chairman’s Announcements & Correspondence

Incoming and outgoing correspondence was circulated prior to the meeting and noted.   

 

                   Chairman of Cannock Chase District Council Charity Night – the Chairman informed the meeting that he had recently attended this event together with other Councillors from Norton Canes Parish Council.

 

44/2019   Authorisation of Accounts                  

A list of accounts for payment in March 2019 had been circulated to members prior to the meeting which   were authorised.

Proposed:  Cllr.J.Bernard

                     Seconded: Cllr.M.Holder

 

45/2019   Date of Next Meeting – Wednesday 17th April  2019  at 7 p.m. at Norton Canes Community Centre.

                Annual Parish Assembly Thursday 4th April 2019 at 7 p.m. at Norton Canes Library. 

46/2019   Items for Information and Future Agenda

                Apologies received from Cllr.J.Bernard for Annual Parish Assembly on 4th April and Cllr.M.Holder for Council meeting on the 17th April.

The meeting closed at 8.10 p.m.

 

 SIGNED: ………………………………………………..…….……….     DATED …………………………..………….