NORTON CANES PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of Council Meeting held on 19th February 2020 at Norton Canes Community Centre at 7pm

Present: Cllrs J.Preece

J.Bernard

Mrs.A.Bernard

D.Bilbie

J.Beddows

K.Fereday

M.Holder

J.Newbury

Mrs.Z.Stretton

Mrs.S.Harding

R.Wilkinson

 

Also In Attendance:      Mrs.L.Florence (Clerk)

6  members of the Public

Cllr.J.McMahon – County Councillor for part of meeting (left after Public                        Participation)

Mr.C.Donnelly –  Capital Projects Manager,

 

 

Mr.Donnelly, Capital Projects Manager from Cannock Chase District Council attended the meeting to outline the upgrade of the playground and open public space on the Cema.  Mr.Donnelly gave a brief background to the upgrade which proposed spending £120k of S106 money which would include a new pathway around the perimeter of the area, fencing, upgrade of playground area, outdoor gym equipment and some form of art sculpture relevant to the area.  A tender exercise had taken place and the closing date was the 14th February.  Mr.Donnelly confirmed that there had been no response to the tendering exercise and the reason for companies not applying was due to the scope of the project which was not tenable for most companies.  The Council would now be looking to do this differently and may consider stripping the project down and look at specific areas separately and it may be considered to bring the Project back in house to manage.

 

A consultation exercise will commence during the Easter Holidays whereby views of local residents and users of the Cema will be asked their views.  Schools will also be involved in the Consultation process to guage the feeling of young people.  Mr.Donnelly stated that the Parish Council and CHAPS would be working together to deliver this project..

 

Some discussion ensued on the viability of spending S106 on this Project as initially the S106 funds were discussed as improving the Community Centre to provide indoor leisure facilities and if this £120k was spend on the upgrade of the Cema then this would reduce the amount of money available to develop the Centre.   Mr.Donnelly stated that it was a cabinet decision to upgrade the Cema which had been driven by local Councillors but that it was not within his remit to comment on the funding strategy.  There is still an amount of S106 money available to deliver on the indoor leisure facility but there are no plans in place at this time.  Cllr.Mrs.Z.Stretton suggested that a meeting of the 3 District Councillors and Cllr.M.Holder who has the background knowledge should arrange a meeting with the Leisure Services at the District to finalise what is needed in Norton Canes.  The S106 money needs to be spent wisely which should include the Cema. Cllr.Mrs.A.Bernard asked that members of the Community Centre should also be included in this process as they were given a promise many years ago when discussions first commenced that they would be involved.

 

Cllr. Mrs.S.Harding was able to feedback about the original plan as this was part of a lottery bid that she was involved in and whilst it has not progressed due to lack of funding she felt very strongly that the play area was in need of improvement.  Cllr.M.Holder referred to the evidence available re indoor and outdoor Question raised by Mrs.J.Bullock as to whether there was a S106 List that was available to show what money has come into the village from the developments which may show that there is money unallocated.  Mr.Donnelly agreed to look into this and report back to the Parish Council.

 

  189/2020    Public Participation

                       

                    

 

 

                    

                     Public Participation closed at

 

 1902020     Apologies

                    Apologies were received from Cllrs

 

 191/2020    Declarations of Interest

To declare interests for this meeting:

 

Member                            Interest                                                                Reason

 

Cllr.Mrs.Z.Stretton                     Planning Applications             Member of District Council Planning Committee

Agenda item

Cllr.Mrs.D.Todd             Planning Applications            Member of District Council Planning Committee

Cllr.D.Todd                    Agenda item                             S137 Grants

Cllr.Mrs.S.Harding         Agenda item                             S137 Grants

Cllr.J.Preece

Cllr.J.Beddows

Cllr.Mrs.A.Bernard

 

 926//2020   Minutes of the Meeting of the Council held on 15th January 2020

The Minutes of the Council meeting held on the 15th January 2020 were agreed as a true and accurate record.

 

  Proposed:    Cllr.

  Seconded:   Cllr.

 

  Matters Arising from the Minutes

 

 177/2020    Police Report

 

.                     A Police report had been received via email but  it was noted that this was noted that this was very vague and that it did not cover all the incidents of crime that had occurred in the village so question raised as to the validity of the content of the report. Discussion ensued about the lack of police presence and meetings and in the village.  It was agreed that we should write to the Police Commander to voice our concerns and refer to the 12% increase in the Council Tax which is for policing and the promise that this would be used for local policing.

 

Action:   Clerk to write to the Police Commander re concerns about local policing and feedback to Parish Council meetings.

 

    178//2020   Reports from Councillors:

 

 

179/2020   Reports from Committee                                                                                                                                    

Comments forwarded to Cannock Chase Council by the Parish Council’s Planning Committee                                                                                                                           

 

No of Planning Application Address of proposed application

 

Proposal Comments by Parish
Planning Committee
CH/20/040 Cannock Gateway Retail Park, Eastern Way, Cannock Erection of retail unit (A1/A3 Use Class), reconfiguration of existing car park and associated works No objections
CH/20/023 16 Woodfield Drive

Norton Canes, Cannock

 

 

 

 

New Porch and garage roof No objections
CCDC Decision   .  
       
CH/19/400 Unit 21a Conduit Road

Norton Canes

Installation of 2nr 3 car parking lifts and steel framed open sided enclosure Permission Granted.

 

Projects

.    

Audit & Governance

Audit and Governance:  Cllr.K.Fereday to be added

                     Projects:                         Cllrs Mrs.A.Bernard, K.Fereday and D.Bilbie to be added

Highways:                       Cllr.M.Holder to be added

New Cemetery Working Group – Cllr.Mrs.A.Bernard

 

182/2020  .New Cemetery

The meeting was informed that the planning application will be put before the District Council Planning Committee on the 4th March.

183/2020   Neighbourhood Plan

                

184/2020   Highways             

 185/2020   Chairman’s Announcement

                  Incoming and Outgoing post which had previously been circulated was noted.

 

 186/2020  Authorisation of Accounts

 

                  A schedule of accounts for payment in February.had been circulated to Councillors prior to the meeting   which were noted and authorised. An additional cheque for £79.99 was paid in respect of the annual renewal for Microsoft Office.

                       

                   Proposed:  Cllr.D.Bilbie

                   Seconded: Cllr.M.Stretton

           

 187/2020 Date of Next Meeting –  Wednesday 19th February 2020 at 7 p.m. at Norton Canes Community Centre          

      

 188/2020  Items for Information and Future Agenda             

 

The meeting closed at 8.55p.m.

 

 SIGNED…………………………………………………….………  DATED………………………………………..……