NORTON CANES PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of Council Meeting held on 20th February  2019 at Norton Canes Community Centre at 7pm

Present:               Cllr J.Preece

Mrs.S.Harding

Mr.J.Bernard

Mrs.A.Bernard

J.Bridgen

J.Beddows

J.Newbury

M.Holder

Mrs.M.Hopley

C.Cox

Mrs.P.Z.Stretton

 

Also Present:        Mrs.L.Florence (Clerk)

7 members of the Public (4 left after the Presentation of Award)

PCSO’s J.Reece and C.Rooney (for part of meeting)

  17/2019     Public Participation

 

Mrs.J.Bullock  asked if a statement by a Councillor on social media relating to the payment of S106 money from the development on Norton Hall Lane which is for the village re costs of infrastructure could be amended to say that it is the landowners that pay this money and not the developers.

 

                     Public Participation closed at 7.10 p.m.

 

18/2019     Apologies

Apologies were received from Cllrs. J.Hampshire, M.Stretton

 

  19/2019    Declarations of Interest

Declarations of Interest were received from Cllr.Mrs.Z.Stretton re agenda item 7(a) – member of District     Council Planning Committee

 

20/2019    Minutes of the Meeting of the Council held on 16th January 2019

The Minutes of the Council Meeting held on the 16th January were agreed as a true and accurate record.

 

Proposed:    Cllr. J.Bridgen

Seconded:   Cllr. Mrs.S.Harding

 

Matters Arising from the Minutes

Page 2 – Mud on Norton Hall Lane  – it was reported that a response had been received from the District Council that a wheel wash was now in place.

 

Page 2 – Recycling initiative – Cllr.J.Newbury reported that the original application made had been rejected due to a change in policy.  New forms have now been sent for review and hoping to get an answer shortly.

 

21/2019  Police Report

                    An email had been received from PCSO Bainbridge requesting if the Parish Council could support their initiative regarding car thefts by looking to fund faraday pouches which would help prevent keyless cars being stolen.  A discussion ensued on this request and it was felt that the Parish Council could not financially support the initiative as it is public money and recognise that this purchase would only be for a certain group of people as the keyless cars are normally the high end spec purchases.   It was also felt that businesses would not be approachable to fund this.  It was agreed to respond to the Police giving the reasons why the Parish Council could not support their request.

 

Action:        Clerk to write to the Police to confirm that the Parish Council are unable to consider their       request for help with the purchase of faraday pouches.

 

PCSO’s Rooney and Reece attended the meeting as representatives but stated that they were not the PCSO’s for the area but were covering the meeting to enable any concerns issues to be raised and feedback to local PCSO’s.  The PCSO confirmed that they are aware of some cross area issues relating to Norton Canes. Information was given about incidents of vandalism in the village and the Police were asked to monitor the areas identified.  Cllr.J.Newbury stated that there are still a lot of reports relating to mopeds in the village which affects residents.  The Police stated that they have been aware of this issue for sometime and are undertaking covert operations to try and tackle the problem.   The Police were able to inform the meeting of some of the changes that have been made due to financial cuts which does affect some of the tasks that they would normally carry out.

 

22/2019  Indoor and Outdoor Sport, Recreation and Open Spaces for the Village            

The meeting was informed that following a letter from the Parish Council to Cllr Mrs.C.Mitchell, Portfolio Leader for Outdoor Sport, Recreation and Open Spaces regarding consideration for funding from S106 money that is currently being held by the District Council,  to be used to upgrade play areas in the village. There is some concern expressed that development in Heath Hayes re football pitches is being considered as part of this money when it was felt that this should be for the benefit of  Norton Canes.  Discussion ensued on the response and it was felt that whilst it was not totally negative there were some assumptions that these areas which we requested should be reviewed are now part of a wider audit being carried out by the District Council which poses some delay in our playground upgrades moving forward.  Cllr.M.Holder felt that the letter suggests that they are willing to enter into negotiations.  It is important that the dialogue with the District Council continues as there is a significant amount of money involved and we do not want to be in a position that the money becomes available and there are no plans in place as to how this is going to be spent.  It should also be noted that the current sums of money under S106 agreements were based on evidence when the planning applications were considered sometime ago and that given that this is already in place and should not be included in any future audit of playground areas.

 

Action:       Clerk to write to the District Council to suggest that a small working group be set up to look at options and plans for the Outdoor Sport, Recreation and Open Spaces for the Village.

 

23/2019  Reports from Councillors:

Community Speedwatch Event – Cllr.J.Newbury gave feedback on an event that he and Cllr.J.Bernard had recently attended organised by the Staffordshire Safer Partnership re Community Speedwatch..  The event was well attended and a lot of information was available including some sobering statistics.  The data shared showed good statistics in terms of the difference operating community speedwatch has had year on year.   There will be some grant funding available to support community groups to provide for example permanent signs and additional equipment for the Police to use.  The date the fund commences is the 1st March and it was suggested that Norton Canes should look at submitting an application for some permanent speedwatch signs.

 

Action:      Clerk to look into the funding available and submit application for some permanent speedwatch signs.

 

Cllr J.Preece informed the meeting that he had recently met with the Officer from the Staffordshire Safer Partnership and had looked at other roads in the village that could be considered for our Community Speedwatch.   The Officer was also agreeable to look at the issues relating to the turning from Walsall Road onto to Chapel Street re the parking of cars which has been a long outstanding problem. The Officer has links with Mark Keeling at Highways and will raise this matter with him.  It was noted that Police do not get involved in parking issues and that the Clerk has contacted Clear Streets at the County Council to request that the traffic wardens visit the village to look at parking issues generally.  It was also suggested that Cllr.J.McMahon could also offer some support in resolving this matter.

 

Rubbish behind Durapipe – Cllr.Mrs.S.Harding referred to a lot of rubbish located behind Durapipe factory on Walsall Road.

 

Action:      Clerk to contact District Council to remove the rubbish.

 

Funding for Alzheimers – Cllr.Mrs.S.Harding informed the meeting of fund raising events in recognition of 40 years anniversary.  The Lido Club have been organising a lot of events which have proved popular.  Cllr.Harding informed the meeting that the annual Forget Me Not Day is planned for the 25th May at Norton Canes Library from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. at the Lido Working Mens Club.  Cllr.Harding asked for Councillors to support any events if they can.

 

Vice-Chairman’s Chain of Office –  Cllr.J.Beddows informed the meeting that he now had the Vice Chairman’s Chain of Office which he was pleased with.  He will be presenting the Chain to the Parish Council at the Annual Parish Assembly on the 4th April.

 

24/2019   Reports from Committees

                Summary of Planning Items

Comments forwarded to Cannock Chase Council by the Parish Council’s Planning Committee

 

No of Planning Application Address of proposed application Proposal Comments by Parish
Planning Committee
CH/19/021 151 Walsall Road

Norton Canes

Demolition of existing retail unit, erection of 6 new dwellings No Objections
CH/18/392 Land rear of 71 Burntwood Road Norton Canes 70 Dwellings – Amended Plans 1.         To ensure that there is a condition that the hedgerows on the development are maintained.

2.     Clarify who is responsible for the maintenance of the Brook which runs alongside the development.  Does this area form part of the site.

CH/19/014 Five Ways Island, Hednesford Road, Heath Hayes Installation of WW1 Memorial No Objections
CH/19/036 10 The Stables, Norton Canes Proposed two storey extension to side of existing property No objections
CH/19/048 Grove Colliery Site, Lime Lane

Pelsall

Change of Use of land to Gypsy Traveller residential site for up to 7 caravans, only 3 of which will be static. Construction of day room block and utility block and creation of vehicular access

 

 

Planning Committee to consider this application.
Decisions by CCDC      
CH/18/438 26 Norton East Road

Norton Canes (One stop shop)

Illuminated fascia sign and illuminated cash point signage Permission granted

 

Cllr.J.Preece reported that planning permission had been granted for the houses on 7 Bridges Road.  Cllr.J.Bernard said that he had met with the residents regarding the Parish Council’s response of no objections for the development.  Following that meeting and taking into account the comments and concerns the Parish Council withdrew the response and submitted new comments outlining our objections.  Cllr.J.Newbury who has been liaising with the residents confirmed that the residents were grateful to the Parish Council for rescinding the original decision.

Projects

           A copy of the Minutes of the Project Committee meeting held on the 7th February were circulated prior to the meeting. Cllr.Mrs.A.Bernard referred to some of the agenda items that had been discussed as follows:

WW1 Beacon Event – Cllr.Mrs.S.Harding showed a replica of a Beacon.  This was presented to those organisations who had held an event.  Cllr.Harding said that it was presented to the village and she asked Councillors to consider where this should be kept.  After discussion it was agreed that it needs to be in a public place and that the Library would be suitable.  It was suggested that some sort of label/plate should be attached to the replica to provide information on how and why it was presented to the village.

Action:            Cllr.Mrs.S.Harding to arrange for the replica to be located at the Library.

          Welcome Sign and Notice Boards – confirmed that these have now been ordered and looking at installation during end of March/early April.   The meeting was informed that following the advice received from Mr.J.Heminsley it has been agreed by the District Council that we do not need planning permission for the new Parish Notice Board.  The smaller aluminium notice board has already been installed on the wall at the entrance to the Co-op store.

Best Kept Village Competition – Cllr.Mrs.A.Bernard informed the meeting that plans are in place for the entry in this year’s BKV.  Some items have already had to be arranged for example ordering the summer plants and hanging baskets.  It has been agreed that the entry for BKV should not just be a Parish Council led initiative but that other organisations/groups within the village should be encouraged to be part of it.  With this in mind we are looking to extend the Events Working Group to include a wider community led membership.

Cllr.J.Preece reported that he is arranging a community litterpick on the 14th April at 11 for 11.30 a.m. as part of the Keep Britain Tidy initiative which will link in with BKV.

Telephone Box on Junction of Norton East Road/Burntwood Road – plans are in place for this to be taken down and we are looking at installing a planter in this area as a feature for people entering the village from Burntwood.  Cllr.J.Bridgen has kindly offered a suitable planter.

Remembrance –  Cllr.Mrs.A.Bernard reported that at the Projects Committee meeting Cllr.J.Hampshire put forward a suggestion about recognising those who lost their lives in WW1 and WW2 by putting a wooden poppy cross with names on at Millennium Garden.  He felt that not everyone attends Church and therefore are not able to show their respect whereas the suggestion would provide an opportunity to do so. Cllr.Mrs.A.Bernard stated that this was a very emotive subject as there is already a war memorial by way of a stained glass window at St.James Church and also there is a wooden plaque with all the names of those who lost their lives at the Norton Canes Academy school.   Cllr.Bernard said that despite a long discussion at the Committee meeting, due to the differing opinions expressed, there was no decision made as to how to take this forward.   It was suggested that it be put to full Council for discussion.

A lengthy discussion ensued and the same issues were raised as had been raised at the Projects Committee.  It was highlighted that the stone located on the Millennium Garden was never meant to be a war memorial and that this should continue on the basis that it was originally agreed.  Suggestions were put forward relating to how to resolve this matter but it was noted that due to the depth of feeling regarding this matter that we may never be able to come to a conclusion about the way forward.  When looking into options we need to recognise how the public will perceive any changes.

It was agreed to move that this matter be considered in the future.  It was recognised that it is election year and that dependant on the outcome there may be new ‘thinking’ about how this emotive issue can be taken forward to recognise and encompass everyone.

Cllr.Mrs.S.Harding asked the Council if there were any plans to recognise the 80th anniversary of the WW2. This could be looked at by the Projects Committee.

 

Audit and Governance

     Cllr J.Bernard informed the meeting that the next scheduled meeting was due to take place at the end of March.

Cllr.J.Bernard asked Councillors to consider expenditure for a new information board relating to the mining heritage of the village which is located on Jubilee gardens.  The current board has been damaged and the cost of replacement is £210 for a new board in the same material but a reinforced material could be used  which would be more vandal proof for £270.  The Clerk reported that we are experiencing an increase in incidents of vandalism and the Police have been asked to monitor certain areas.

It was resolved:

                     Expenditure was agreed in the sum of £270 for a new information board.

25/2019     New Cemetery

       Cllr.Mrs.A.Bernard gave an update on the new cemetery project and the meeting with the Holford Group to seek clarification re a temporary access route required for the new planning application.  The meeting was positive and there was agreement in place that a temporary access route would be provided via Swan Farm for the delivery of construction materials and plant hire.  Mr.J.Heminsley who is assisting us with the planning application will now take this forward and it is hoped a new application will be submitted shortly.

26/2019   Neighbourhood Plan

                An update on the work of the Neighbourhood Plan was given to the meeting.  The working group meet regularly to move the project forward.  Cllr.J.Preece clarified the figure contained in the notes of the last meeting which referred to £300k for Norton Canes.  This sum was allocated in the S106 money for education.  Cllr.M.Holder stated that it was important to note that we are still meeting as a working group and that this requires to be changed to a Steering Group which will consist of a diverse group of people who can contribute to taking this Project forward as a community led Plan and not a Parish Council led plan.  Through the consultation process 26 people had come forward as interested in being a member of the Steering Group but when contacted about being involved the number decreased to 10. Of that 10 people interested there were some barriers as to their availability for meetings.   It is hoped at the next working group meeting on the 19th March that we will be in a position to implement a Steering group.

   27/2019   Highways

 There has been no meeting of Highways group since the last Council meeting.  Whilst new signs stating no HGV’s have been installed on Washbrook Lane to avoid HGV’s travelling down there, there is still an ongoing issue relating to the number of HGV’s who are using Norton Hall Lane coming into the village and then being unable to turn around as the road is unsuitable.   It does require new signs to be installed and Cllr.M.Holder has asked the Liaison Officer for the Highways Dept if a cost could be provided for installing new signs to ascertain if this was something that the Parish Council could consider funding as this has been a long standing issue and causes problems for the village.

Action:            Clerk to chase up the Highways Dept for a costing for installation of new signs.

28/2019   Chairman’s Announcements & Correspondence

Incoming and outgoing correspondence was circulated prior to the meeting and noted.   

                  

                   The Chairman informed the meeting that he had been liaising with residents in Butts Close regarding a paved area that often gets used by young people playing football and youths just hanging around the area.  Residents are asking if anything can be done to eradicate this and make the area more presentable.  With this in mind the Chairman has had discussions with the residents and it is suggested that maybe a garden area could be the answer.  The costs of providing an area of this size is prohibitive but the Chairman feels that if some wooden planters including summer plants that this would make the area much more presentable.

 

The Chairman asked Councillors if they were agreeable for him to purchase the planters from his Chaiman’s Allowance as a goodwill gesture to the residents in that area.

 

 

It was resolved:

                   It was agreed for the Chairman to use his allowance for the purchase of planters for  Butts Close.

 

29/2019   Authorisation of Accounts                  

A list of accounts for payment in February 2019 had been circulated to members prior to the meeting which   were authorised.

Proposed:  Cllr. J.Bernard

                     Seconded:  Cllr. J.Bridgen

30/2019   Date of Next Meeting – Wednesday 20th March  2019  at 7 p.m. at Norton Canes Community Centre. 

31/2019   Items for Information and Future Agenda

 

The meeting closed at 8.55 pm

 

 SIGNED: ………………………………………………..…….……….     DATED …………………………..………….